In order to change one’s Hotmail password:
- Sign into the Windows Live Hotmail Account from Hotmail.
- Click the name at the right top of the Windows Live homepage. A list will popup. Select Account.
- If asked to sign in again, enter the current password and click Sign in.
- In the Account Summary, just below the Password reset information heading, click Change next to the starred password.
- A screen that asks for the old password will appear. Type in a new password, then retype it for confirmation. Note: Be sure to enter a strong password. Passwords are case sensitive (so EXAMPLE, Example, and example are not the same).
- Click the Save button to save the new password. When taken to the login page, log in with the new password.
Recover a Forgotten Hotmail Password
Users may need to change/recover their Hotmail password because they have forgotten it. In order to recover the Hotmail password, follow the steps below:
- Go to Hotmail. Click the Forgot your password? link just below the password text field on the sign in form.
- Enter an alternate email address and key in the characters in the picture on the page that comes up. The latter is to prove that you are a human being and not a computer program. Click Continue.
- The password changing procedure’s details will be sent to the user’s alternate email address. Open the alternate mail box and click the link under Confirm Request And Reset Password.
- Clicking the link will take you to a page which asks to enter the Hotmail ID, new password and retype the new password for confirmation. Click on Continue. You will be redirected to the login page for signing in.
Choose the new password carefully and keep it safe. If possible, do not write it down because it is easier for people to get access to it. To help protect personal information, change the password regularly.
Also, please remember that this changes the Windows Live account password and affects all Windows Live services on which that account is used.